Monday, November 3, 2008

Blog, blog, blog. What's so cool about it?

There are many reasons why people start their own blog but for those of you who haven't gotten the hang of it yet -- or just think it is too overwhelming -- I'd like to share a few reasons why I blog.

Reason #1: It's healthy.

First, there's the health benefit of the act of writing itself. Yes, writing -- like laughter -- is simply good medicine. Our forefathers wrote in leather bound journals and blogging is simply the modern-day equivalent. In fact, Sandy Grayson has written a book about this type of writing called "Journalution: Journaling to Awaken Your Inner Voice, Heal Your Life and Manifest Your Dreams" if you'd like to read further. Writing can ease the stress and frustration people have as they strive to accomplish goals. Or did you ever have a time in your life where you felt like you just were not being heard? Like no one is really listening? Blogging can certain alleviate those feelings and, at the same time, provide an emotional boost with an overall sense of accomplishment after writing each post. Just think of it as part of your overall wellness plan.

Reason #2: It's the best form of ideating.

Generating ideas, finding solutions to problems or finding new and more effective / efficient ways of doing things are all challenges that people face these days -- in business or in life. Blogging can be a way to get thoughts out of the mind and "on paper" so you can begin to crystalize random ideas into solutions. Or connect two or more ideas into something really innovative. Or to get rid of old ideas so that you can make room for new ones, as if the act of writing somewhat releases the old. Just like the feeling one gets when the closets are all cleaned out and you donate all those old clothes you never wear to charity. New ideas seem to flourish in a mind that isn't saddled with old thinking.

Reason #3: It's a great way to share and teach.

Sometimes people struggle with blog content. I certainly did at first. But I quickly realized that I can easily blog about what I learned that day, or week, or sometime in my past. So I often ask myself "what did I learn today?" And no matter how trivial I sometimes think that lesson is, I often also think "wouldn't that lesson be beneficial to others?" And usually the answer is "yes." Even if one person benefits from the lesson that I've learned, it would be worth it. Besides, didn't people benefit from the writings of our forefathers? Jefferson? Franklin? Of course. So writing in the form of a blog is the same idea. Sharing ideas, spurring discussion, teaching lessons on a range of topics from leadership to jumping rope. What? You don't think jumping rope is beneficial? Just try it for 10 minutes and see what I'm talking about...

Reason #4: Blog content creates ebooks and books.

I talk to lots of people who dream of writing a book someday. I, too, have it on my vision board. But how do you eat an elephant? Yep, one bite at a time. So blogging is a very simple and easy way to write on a certain subject in order to start getting the ideas down for that book. Plus, it creates a writing habit. If you want to author a book, then you have to be disciplined in writing -- it's not going to happen any other way. I mean, you can't win the NY marathon without running, right? And once you have enough content written, the ebook is easy to compile. And once you have the ebook compiled, then the book is within reach because it will then feel doable. And once it's doable, then you'll have to create a new vision board because the old one will have become a reality.


Ok, those are the first 4 reasons why I think blogging is so cool. I have a few more so I'll post Part 2 at a later time. And once I do that, I'll probably have enough content to produce an ebook on why I think blogging is so cool. And I will have finished my first ebook. So you can see just how easy it is. I mean, um, I can see just how easy it is.

So, did this blog help you in any way? Did reading it cause you to think about starting a blog? Or authoring an ebook? If so, then my writing -- in addition to being part of my wellness plan -- accomplished what it was designed to do.

Happy writing.
Blog, blog, blog. What's so cool about it?SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

No comments: